Being one of the major terminals for transshipment of oil products, the Company is fully aware of its responsibility for complying with rules and requirements to ensure industrial safety. In order to prevent emergency accidents, and in line with the legislation of the Russian Federation, the Company has created an effectively functioning industrial safety management system at hazardous production facilities and developed a Regulation on the Industrial Safety Management System.
In accordance with the above documents, in order to implement measures to prevent accidents and incidents and with a view of localization and elimination of their consequences, a number of preventive measures have been implemented at the Terminal:
- suction and pressure process pipelines have remote controlled shut-off valves that are located outside pumping stations, which allows for monitoring and controlling the process from the operator’s workplace;
- the facility has a system for monitoring the oil products level in the tanks with sound and light alarms output to the Central Control Room;
- professional and emergency preparedness training of the maintenance personnel, emergency response drills and training alerts are carried out on a regular basis;
- check valves are installed on pressure pipelines, preventing the oil products backflow;
- the pumping equipment is fitted with locks that prevent start and stop the pump operation when the liquid level in the tank is above or below the limit values; as well as with alarm and pump interlock systems that stop the pumps in case of excessive temperature at pump bearings;
- the working pressure of the medium in vessels and apparatuses is controlled by automated systems including indicators, alarms and safety valves, with readings and light alarm signal output to the Automated Operator Workplace;
- the tanks are equipped with ventilatory and safety valves with a throughput capacity in accordance with the maximum performance of loading and unloading operations;
- pipelines are equipped with an electric heating system for constant maintenance of the pumped medium’s temperature process parameters;
- the Plan for Emergency Response at Dangerous Production Facilities of the 1st and 3rd Hazard Classes of the Bulk Liquid Cargo Complex in the Ust-Luga Sea Port has been developed, approved and enacted;
- the structural materials used are resistant to corrosion and are able to operate under the required pressure and temperature conditions in accordance with the operating rules;
- the Plan for Oil and Oil Products Spill Prevention and Response in the Water Area of the Bulk Liquid Cargo Complex of Ust-Luga Oil, LLC "PBK Terminal” in the Ust-Luga Sea Port has been developed and approved;
- specialized organizations monitor the level of corrosive wear of the equipment and pipelines using modern flaw detection methods;
- the Plan for Oil Products Spill Prevention and Response in the Coastal Area of the Bulk Liquid Cargo Complex of Ust-Luga, LLC "PBK Terminal” has been developed and agreed upon with State control and supervisory authorities.
Work permit is issued for work in the areas of hazardous and harmful production factors and in the performance of works of increased danger. Construction, installation, commissioning, repair and other types of work performed by Contracting / Subcontracting organizations in the territory of LLC "PBK Terminal”, are related to works of heightened danger and are performed on work orders.